Friday, March 22, 2013

Moving On.

Well, today is the first day of what I would call my "new" life. I am no longer working, and I am planning on learning and reading so much about eating gluten-free and living a healthy life. I know it's going to be an adjustment to be more of a homemaker now, but I'm determined to do it. For all of you who haven't seen my recent update on Facebook, here is what I posted as my status yesterday:

So, there have been a few corrections to my diagnosis. I was originally told I had Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis, but was given paperwork on Primary Biliary Cirrhosis, which made me think I had the latter. However, it was the nurse that apparently made the mix-up, so I actually have PSC - not PBC. They're essentially the same thing, except that if I do need to have surgery on my liver, it may not have to be a full transplant. They could potentially do a resection of some of my bile ducts or take a piece out of my liver instead of replacing the whole thing. So that's a huge praise.

I do have though what the doctor called a "Dominant Stricture" which means there is something causing one of my ducts to be either inflamed or scarred (which is what has been causing my pain). There is a chance of a tumor, but the doctor assured me that it's an extremely low chance because I'm so young. He believes that it is scarring, and hopefully the Mayo Clinic will be able to open it up later on.

With my UC I now have Low-Grade Dysplasia which puts me at a high risk for cancer cells in my colon. This means that anytime this year to three years from now I will most likely have my colon removed. This will be very difficult - however, after having UC for 15 years now, I am ready to go through that surgery so I can feel somewhat normal. Thanks everyone for your prayers. I have more tests and doctors to see, but I was greatly encouraged when the doctor today pulled Eric aside and said, "She has a rough road ahead of her, but she'll be okay."

There is hope, friends! Things are difficult right now and will continue to be until everything gets figured out, but I will fight, and come out of everything victorious because I have Jesus Christ my Savior giving me strength to go through everything. Thank you so much for your prayers! I'm sure I'll be blogging about everything later - until then, I'm just recovering and trying to relax. I officially ended my time at Caribou today. I'm sad that I wasn't able to fulfill my two weeks and say goodbye to everyone like I wanted to, but I know it's for the best. I need to have as little stress in my life as possible, especially right now. It's hard finding out the actual diagnosis and future for everything, but I have tremendous faith that everything is going to be okay and God is going to use this for my good and His glory. 
 ---------------And another quick correction - I may be incorrect about the resection of the bile ducts (surgery meds, you know). What my mom and Eric are telling me is that I may need a transplant of just the bile ducts, but that would still be significantly better than a full liver transplant.---------------

I truly do have hope.  I know that the road ahead of me is going to be full of challenges, heartaches, sickness and tears, but I'm ready. I know that I will come out on the other side being a stronger person and having a stronger faith. Everything happens for a reason, and I know that God is putting me through this in order to shape me more into who He wants me to be. I'm not going to lie - I'm scared. I know it's going to be really hard, and whenever I have surgery there will be a long process of recovery. However, I know that God will be by my side throughout everything and He has given me a wonderful husband, family, and friends to support me through everything.

I know I keep saying this, but I cannot thank everyone enough for the incredible support I've been given. I truly feel so blessed and so overwhelmed to have so many wonderful people in my life. I will do my best to make everyone proud as I walk this journey that the Lord has set out for me. Thank you all for your prayers - keep them coming. I know the Lord will do as He will, but it won't stop me from continuing to pray for a miracle in healing as I walk this road. :)


Joshua 1:7-9

“Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go.  Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”



Love you all. <3

2 comments:

  1. I for one am already proud of you and I know that you will continue to make me feel that way. We love you so much Bethany and I'm so sorry that you have to go through all of this. If I could take it away I would in a heartbeat! I love you!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany - we gathered today at the beginning of Kerygma practice and layed hands on a picture of you I had in my room. The kids and I prayed for a supernatural healing of your body and for peace. I too am gluten free. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease when I was 35. Taking gluten out of my diet made a huge difference in my digestive health. I have gotten lazy about it and sneak gluten here and there but the Lord spoke very loudly to me about not cheating recently. I use Udi's bread products although they are pricey. They taste the best. Blessings to you! Lindy Welch

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog, friends! Let me know you were here by writing a note, if you'd like! Love you all! :)